Body found in Humber estuary identified as Libby Squire

Enterprise News and Pictures 4/2/19 Pic shows: New pictures of Libby Squire, 21, a student at the University of Hull, who is missing after she was last seen on Thursday night after she was refused entry to a nightclub. Libby was reported missing after leaving the Welly club in Hull at around 11pm and getting into a taxi. She had been turned away from entering the club because door staff considered her too drunk. She was later seen by a motorist at about 11.45pm on Beverley Road near the junction with Beresford Avenue. Humberside Police have said the motorist got out of his car and "helped" Libby but have stressed that he is "not a suspect". Libby is described as 5ft 7in, with shoulder length brown hair. She was last seen wearing a black long sleeved top, a leather jacket and black jeans. Police searching for Libby have found lip gloss, a screwdriver and a hammer close to where she was last seen. Forensic teams were seen taking the items away in cases as the mystery around the 21-year-old's sudden disappearance deepened. The news of the findings came as her mother has revealed Libby did make it home after the night out with friends. Police found a phone in her bedroom but close friend Lauren Goodman said Libby "didn't have her phone with her that night". On Sunday afternoon police said they now believe Libby was seen at 12.05am. Hundreds of students have been out looking for Libby. Detective Superintendent Simon Gawthorpe said on Sunday: " We know she got into a taxi outside the Welly Club on Beverley Road at around 11pm on Thursday. Libby got out of the taxi a short while later near her home address on Wellesley Avenue, but was later seen on CCTV on Beverley Road, close to the junction with Haworth Street at around 11.45pm. We now believe she may have been seen 20 minutes later on Beresford Avenue at around 12.05am. We're keen to speak to anyone who may have been on H

Police searching for Libby Squire have confirmed a body recovered from the Humber estuary is that of the missing student.

Humberside Police said the body was discovered near Grimsby docks on Wednesday afternoon.

The 21-year-old University of Hull student was last seen in the early hours of 1 February after a night out.

A major police inquiry saw hundreds of officers searching for Ms Squire, from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

Det Supt Martin Smalley said: “A post-mortem examination commenced this afternoon and is continuing to be carried out this evening, however formal identification has now taken place and we can confirm the body recovered is that of missing woman Libby Squire.”

He said her family had been informed and were “receiving support from specially trained officers”.

Ms Squire was last seen on Beverley Road close to the junction with Haworth Street in Hull.

Det Supt Smalley said: “An extensive search was carried out in the days and weeks after her disappearance, with detectives and officers working relentlessly to find Libby.

“The people in Hull have shown tremendous support to Libby’s family and to the officers and support staff involved in the searches and investigation.”

Professor Susan Lea, vice-chancellor at the University of Hull, said staff and students were “all absolutely devastated by the loss of our student, Libby Squire”.

“Our hearts go out to Libby’s family and friends at this incredibly difficult time and we will continue to give them our full support,” she added.

Last month, the student’s mother Lisa Squire talked of “a month of utter heartbreak and despair”.

“As a family we are incomplete,” she said.

A 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of abduction remains under investigation, police said.

Polish butcher Pawel Relowicz, 24, originally arrested on suspicion of Libby abduction remains under investigation

Pawel Relowicz, of Raglan Street in Hull, is remanded in custody on unrelated charges of burglary, voyeurism, outraging public decency and receiving stolen goods.

On the night of her disappearance, detectives think Ms Squire got a taxi at the Welly Club music venue before arriving at her student house in Wellesley Avenue at about 11.30pm, where her mobile phone was found.

They do not believe she entered the house and have said her phone “has not provided any further insight as to her movements that night”.

She was spotted on CCTV 10 minutes later near a bench on Beverley Road, where it is thought a motorist stopped to offer her help. Floral tributes are now being laid on the bench.